I Did a 100 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh — Here Is What Nobody Tells You
Let me be honest with you. Before I arrived in Rishikesh, I thought I knew what a yoga teacher training would feel like. I imagined long hours of stretching, some meditation, maybe a few philosophy lectures that I would half-listen to while thinking about lunch.
I was wrong about almost everything.
The 100 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh changed something in me that I am still trying to fully put into words. And I am not the only one who says that. Nearly every student who walks through the doors of Sriezaayogshala says a version of the same thing when it is over: I did not expect it to go this deep.
So if you are thinking about doing a 100 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh — whether you want to teach someday or simply want to understand your practice better — this post is for you. Real talk. No fluff. Just everything you actually need to know before you go.
First Things First — What Even Is a 100 Hour Yoga Teacher Training?
A 100 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh is exactly what it sounds like. One hundred hours of structured yoga education packed into roughly 12 to 14 days. It is the entry-level certification recognized by Yoga Alliance — the global body that sets standards for yoga education worldwide.
When you complete it, you earn a 100 Hour RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) certificate. That credential is real. It is internationally recognized. You can use it to teach yoga professionally, or you can use it as a launchpad toward a full 200 hour or even 500 hour qualification later on.
But here is the thing nobody tells you upfront. The certificate is almost beside the point. What the training actually gives you is a completely new relationship with yoga. The kind that only happens when you stop treating it as exercise and start meeting it as a complete system — physical, mental, philosophical, and spiritual all at once.
At Sriezaayogshala in Rishikesh, that is exactly the kind of education you get.
Why Rishikesh? Why Not Just Do It at Home?
This is the question I get asked the most. And my answer is always the same: because there is no substitute for being there.
Rishikesh sits at the foot of the Himalayas in Uttarakhand, northern India. The Ganga river runs right through it, cold and impossibly clear after coming down from the mountains. Temples and ashrams crowd the riverbanks. Bells ring at dawn. Chanting carries across the water in the early morning before the city fully wakes up.
This is the city that gave the world modern yoga as we know it. The Beatles came here in 1968. Swami Sivananda built his ashram here. The lineages that shaped global yoga culture were either born here or passed through here. When you study yoga in Rishikesh, you are not just taking a course. You are stepping into living history.
And that matters more than you might think. There is something about the environment — the mountains, the river, the community of practitioners everywhere you look — that accelerates your learning in a way that is impossible to manufacture in a studio back home. Distractions fall away. The pace slows down. Your nervous system settles. And suddenly yoga stops being something you do a few times a week and starts being something you inhabit.
Sriezaayogshala understands this deeply. The school is not just located in Rishikesh by accident. Everything about how the program is designed draws on the energy and tradition of the place itself.
What You Actually Study — Breaking Down the Curriculum
This is where most blog posts give you a dry list of subjects. I want to give you something more useful — a real sense of what each part of the training feels like and why it matters.
Asana — More Than Just Poses
Yes, you practice postures. A lot of them. Morning sessions at Sriezaayogshala begin before sunrise and run for two to three hours. You cover Hatha and Ashtanga foundations. But what surprised me was how much time we spent understanding the poses rather than just performing them. Alignment, breath, the purpose behind each shape, how to modify for different bodies. By the end of the training I felt like I had been practicing yoga for years in the dark and someone had finally turned the lights on.
Pranayama — Learning to Actually Breathe
I thought I knew how to breathe. I had been doing it for my entire life, after all. Pranayama humbled me completely. At Sriezaayogshala, you learn Nadi Shodhana, Kapalabhati, Ujjayi, Bhramari, and more. Each one does something distinct to your nervous system and your energy. By the second week, my morning pranayama practice had become the thing I looked forward to most. I still do it every single day.
Meditation — Actually Sitting Still
The daily meditation sessions at Sriezaayogshala were the ones I initially dreaded and eventually could not imagine living without. Seated practice, mantra meditation, walking meditation — each style teaches you something different about the quality of your attention. Nobody tells you that consistent meditation practice changes how you experience everything else in your day. They should.
Yoga Philosophy — The Part That Blew My Mind
I expected philosophy to be the boring part. It was the opposite. At Sriezaayogshala, the teachers bring Patanjali's Yoga Sutras and the Bhagavad Gita to life in a way that makes both texts feel startlingly relevant to modern life. The eight limbs of yoga are not an ancient checklist. They are a practical map for how to live with intention, awareness, and integrity. I have read plenty of yoga books. Nothing compares to studying this material in Rishikesh with teachers who have spent decades living it.
Anatomy — Understanding the Body You Live In
This was more fascinating than I expected. Understanding how the musculoskeletal system works, which muscles engage in each posture, where injuries tend to happen and why — all of this transformed how I practice and how I think about movement. Sriezaayogshala teaches anatomy in a way that connects directly to the practice. Nothing feels abstract.
Teaching Methodology — Finding Your Teacher Voice
Even if you are not sure you want to teach, this module is worth the entire training. Learning to sequence a class, give clear verbal cues, offer hands-on adjustments, and hold space for a group of people teaches you things about communication and presence that extend way beyond the yoga room. The supervised practice teaching sessions at Sriezaayogshala are nerve-wracking and completely transformative.
Mantra and Chanting
I walked in skeptical about this one. I walked out completely converted. There is something that happens in a room full of people chanting Sanskrit together that defies easy explanation. Sriezaayogshala weaves chanting into daily practice. After a few days it stops feeling foreign and starts feeling like coming home.
Who Is This Training Actually For?
Honestly? A wider range of people than you might expect.
Some students at Sriezaayogshala arrive with clear teaching goals. They want the credential, the skills, the knowledge — and they leave with all three. Others are yoga practitioners who have been on the mat for years and want to finally understand what they have been doing. Some are going through significant life transitions. A few are healers, therapists, or wellness professionals wanting to add yoga to their toolkit.
What they all have in common is a genuine curiosity. A willingness to show up fully. And a sense — even if they cannot articulate it yet — that yoga has more to offer them than their current practice is delivering.
You do not need to be an advanced practitioner. You do not need prior teaching experience. Sriezaayogshala asks for around six months of regular yoga practice and a real commitment to the two weeks of training. That is it.
The Honest Truth About Daily Life During Training
It is intense. I will not pretend otherwise. The days are long, the schedule is full, and by day four or five most students hit a wall. Your body is tired. Your mind is overloaded. The philosophical questions you are exploring do not have easy answers.
And then something shifts. The tiredness starts to feel productive. The full schedule starts to feel like a gift. The community you are building with your fellow students starts to feel like one of the most genuine connections you have made in years.
Meals at Sriezaayogshala are sattvic — fresh, vegetarian, traditional. Dal, rice, sabzi, roti, seasonal vegetables, herbal teas. Simple food prepared with real care. Most students are surprised by how much they enjoy it. The accommodation is clean and comfortable. The location puts you right in the heart of Rishikesh — close to the Ganga, close to the temples, close to everything that makes this city what it is.
What Comes Home With You
The certificate comes home. That is the official answer.
But what actually comes home is harder to list neatly. A daily pranayama practice that genuinely changes your mornings. A meditation habit that sticks in a way it never did before the training. A physical practice that has intelligence and intention behind every pose. An understanding of yoga philosophy that quietly reshapes how you see your relationships, your choices, and your life.
And something else — a confidence. Not the loud kind. The quiet kind. The kind that comes from having spent two weeks going deeper into yourself than you usually dare to go, and discovering that you are more capable, more aware, and more resilient than you knew.
That is what the 100 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh at Sriezaayogshala gives you. And that is why, when people ask me if it was worth it, I always say the same thing.
Without question. Go.
Practical Details Before You Book
- Duration: 12 to 14 days
- Certification: Yoga Alliance 100 Hour RYT
- Location: Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, India
- School: Sriezaayogshala
- Includes: Accommodation, sattvic meals, all course materials, certification
- Prerequisites: Approx. 6 months of regular yoga practice, genuine commitment
Ready to take the step? Visit Sriezaayogshala to explore upcoming batch dates, fees, and everything else you need to know before you arrive in Rishikesh.
Comments
Post a Comment